Pages

April 8, 2013

Chickenpox and Pregnancy

Getting the Chickenpox while pregnant is not something I thought I had to worry about.... Until today.

I went to work this morning and there was a child I care for that was extremely unsettled. I spent most of my morning caring for him trying to cheer him up. Well around lunchtime he broke out in a rash that just kept spreading. A rash that looked a lot like chickenpox.

I have had chickenpox before, so what are the chances right? I'd say I'd have to be pretty damn unlucky to get the chickenpox again at all let alone while pregnant. However at the same moment I noticed the rash on the baby I remembered reading that the first sign of chickenpox is feeling "generally unwell".... That made me think gee, I feel quite generally unwell at the moment. I can't actually pinpoint why or where I'm not well, I'm just not!! It's gotta be in my head!!!

For all you other mothers out there who are worried about getting chickenpox while pregnant I have done some research and here is what I have found:

-getting Chickenpox while pregnant puts you at greater risk of contracting pneumonia. Make sure you tell the doc if your having trouble breathing.
-Chickenpox puts you at a greater risk of miscarriage if you are in your first trimester.
-Chickenpox puts your baby at risk of having problems such as scars and eye problems. This risk is greater if you are between 13 and 20 weeks but even then the risk is very small (around 2%).
-if you have had chickenpox before you are not likely to get it, however you can get your dr to do a blood test to check your immunity.

So now I'm hoping to find out tomorrow if the baby did have chickenpox, because now I am worried. Even though I'm sure I'm immune!! If it was chickenpox I will go to the dr tomorrow and get the blood test done to make sure. Great excuse to have a day off I guess :-)

1 comment:

  1. My son had chicken pox when I was 5/6 months pregnant with twins. We were all fine.

    ReplyDelete